Friday, May 15, 2009

God, sometimes you just don't come through


Because I'm moving so soon, I haven't been buying many groceries. I've been thinking of inventive ways to use things I already have in my pantry. Those of you who have cooked with me know that I am very much a by-the-[cook]book kind of person. Improvisation is for chefs. I follow recipes. Even so, because I'm a star and own a pressure cooker, tonight I used up the last of my dried black beans, chipotle peppers, and a can of crushed tomatoes. Rainbow chili? Fiesta chili? Festive indeed. I had the foresight to set the beans to soak this morning before I went for a run. Don't quite know how that happened.

Improvisational Pressure Cooker Fiesta Chili:
(players in order of appearance)

In the morning, soak the beans. Before you start cooking, set some water to boil in a kettle, about 4 cups.

1 T olive oil
1 T cumin
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups black beans, soaked for 6 hours, drained, and rinsed well
1 T ancho chile powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cinnamon
1 chipotle pepper, seeded and chopped

half of a 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup frozen soybeans, set out to thaw a bit
1 cup frozen mixed veggies, set out to thaw a bit (I used Trader Joe's mixed corn, carrots and green beans)

Heat up the olive oil. Throw in the cumin as it heats, then once it's hot add the onions, then after a minute add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Then add the beans, the spices, the chipotle and enough boiling water to juuuust cover the beans. Stir. Cover and bring to high pressure, then start timing 12 mins. After 12 bring down the pressure by quick-release, and if the beans aren't tender let them simmer with the top loosely on until they are. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer for a few minutes, then stir in the partially thawed soybeans and veggies and simmer a couple more minutes. Season with S&P.

Probably serves 3 hungry people or 4 less-hungry people.




The stuff in the Stella glass? That's my Kombucha that carbonated after I left it alone for 2 weeks. Victory! You know I secretly hoped it would ferment into a Dogfish 90 minute but it didn't.

No comments:

Procrastineat: (verb) to eat and/or cook in lieu of something else that is more important and that you probably should be doing.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE A "FOOD BLOG" WHATEVER THAT MEANS. This is my blog. I'm not making any claims as to what it seeks to be. It simply is. It might involve a little food. That is all.